Master of Arts in Global English Literary and Cultural Studies
QF Level: 6
QR Registration No.: 21/000420/L6
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2021 To 31/08/2024
Department of English, The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong
Programme Director: Dr Jay Parker
Associate Programme Director: Dr Paul Fung
Programme Objectives (POs)
- Develop students’ command of the body of knowledge of Global English Literary and Cultural Studies;
- Enhance students’ creative, evaluative and analytical skills to enable application of skills across the broad range of Global English Literary and Cultural Studies;
- Improve students’ understanding of and ability to navigate the ethical, methodological complexities of Global English Literary and Cultural Studies with autonomy, accountability and leadership; and
- Provide students with the ability to apply transferable skills and capacities (including collaboration, communication and IT skills) relevant to a range of professional or other contexts.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs)
- Show understanding of the body of knowledge in Global English Literary and Cultural Studies in a range of situations, the similarities and differences between them, and including work at the forefront of the study of this field;
- Creatively design and apply appropriate methodologies, supporting specialist analysis and evaluation of literary and cultural objects in the field of Global English Literary and Cultural Studies;
- Conduct research and other activities that demonstrate clear understanding of ethical and methodological complexities in Global English Literary and Cultural Studies, as well as the requirements of scholarly accountability; and
- Apply transferable skills, including communication skills and the use of technology, to conduct and share research and to enhance collaboration in activities relevant to Global English Literary and Cultural Studies.
Minimum Admission Requirements
1. A Bachelor’s degree with liberal arts or humanities components from a recognised university or equivalent; and
2. Documentary evidence demonstrating the applicant’s English proficiency, which may include:
i. Completion of a degree from a tertiary institution or programme where the medium of instruction is English;
ii. A minimum of 550 (paper-based) and 79 (internet-based) in TOEFL; or
iii. A minimum of 6.5 in IELTS; or
iv. A minimum of 500 in College English Test-Band 6 (CET-6) or
v. An equivalent of any of the above
Note: Students will also attend an interview, including a written assessment, to confirm their suitability for the programme.
To be eligible for the award of the Master of Arts in Global English Literary and Cultural Studies, students are required to:
1. complete and obtain a Grade D or above in at least 24 credits, including three core modules, plus five* other electives, and;
2. obtain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
* Four electives if the Capstone Project is taken.